Sister Amina on Islam: (Re-)Introduction

Sunday, August 8, 2010

(Re-)Introduction

Bismillah ir-rahman ir-raheem

Assalaam alaikum!

Alhamdulillah! After a year of absence, during which time quite a lot happened, I have decided to re-open my blog. However, due to a few slightly embarrassing circumstances, I am not able to access my old blog and I have to restart. Insha'Allah, this one will be even better!

So, I am going to be re-posting some of my old articles with new information and I'll start with an introduction.

My name is Leah "Amina" Webb. I was given the name Amina by a tearful Afghani woman after I reverted to Islam not long ago. Most people know me by my legal name, Leah, but for a blog about Islam I am going to stick to my Islamic name. For my first post I am just going to do a small intro. Hi. I'm Amina.

I was born in Michigan (USA) back in the '80s (1989 still counts) to some very loving parents. I did not grow up with religion, though I think I had some vague concept of God just from existing around religious people (or maybe it's because my grandma used to say "Oh God" all the time - I love you, Grandma!). Anyhow, my childhood isn't all that important. I mean, it is important, but it isn't relevant to what I am talking about. The important stuff starts about a little over two years ago when my boyfriend at the time called and said he had succeeded in getting us an apartment in Lethbridge (Alberta, Canada). This was good news because I was going to university there.

Now, I had met this boyfriend of mine while in France on exchange during my grade 11 year, which was when I lived my teenage years, having been pretty much angelic before then (sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll weren't really my cup of tea). Yes, I did some (many) things that I'm ashamed of, but ultimately I have no regrets. It was all part of the path that led me to Allah, and for that I am grateful.

So, in August of 2008 I moved in with said boyfriend and all was good in life. Come November or so, however, due to a petty little memoir (of a non-Muslim) we were reading, we started talking to some Muslims in the community. First Ahmed, then the Khan family. Before we knew it, we were hooked. Islam was the answer. Though at first we had planned to revert to Islam and get married in July, our friend convinced us that it was better to do sooner rather than later and all of a sudden I was standing in front of a small masjid full of people taking shahadah and becoming a Muslim and not soon after I was married. This is the short version.

People always want to know why I reverted, and I can never give a good answer. Mostly I tell them about the memoir that my husband and I read and how that led to us talking to Muslims around Lethbridge, etc etc etc. But how satisfying is that? Pretty much not at all. I mean, drinking is fun, right? Sex is fun! Who would want to cover herself up all the time just because some silly 1500-year-old book alludes to such a thing? Why would anyone choose a restrictive religion over the easy and free life of an agnostic?

Because.
Insha'Allah (God willing), in my further posts I will be able to clear up these questions and explain to any reader who happens upon this site a little bit about Islam. If you have any questions you want answered or if there are any topics you want discussed, please let me know. But remember, I am only a woman. I am not God, therefore I am vulnerable to error. Sometimes, I just don't know things. But insha'Allah, if you are patient we can make this a really interesting blog. Please, tell your friends (Muslims and non-Muslims alike) about this site.

JazakAllah Khair

Amina
 

ps: Also, please note that insha'Allah, there will be a monthly poll. If you scroll almost alllllll the way to the bottom you will find it. JazakAllah. 

1 comment:

  1. Great to see the blog back up and running!! I actually DO have a question. In one of your statuses or one of the posts you mentioned that dressing modestly made you feel beautiful. I thought to myself for a while on that and I realized that I dressed rather immodestly (with my body size in mind!! I was never dressed like a hussy) but I felt much prettier when I wore clothing that covered me better. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting an entry in the future on why you believe modest dress makes you feel beautiful.

    For me, I feel like it takes the focus off my body and directs it more toward my personality and my eyes (which I believe are my loveliest features). I'd like to know what it is that makes YOU feel beautiful. Why does being covered the way a traditional Muslim woman covers herself make YOU feel beautiful?

    ReplyDelete